Minimum Kit for the Scafell Sky Race™
This is a minimum kit list for the Scafell Sky Race™, all items are listed as the least you should wear/carry. We strongly advise you take account of the prevailing weather conditions & dress accordingly.
Must be worn as a minimum:
- Short Sleeve base layer top (NO COTTON)
- Shorts or tights (3/4 tights acceptable)
- Mountain/Trail running shoes, e.g. Walsh PB, Salomon Fellraiser, La Sportiva C-lite, inov-8 x-talon or mudclaw. Trail shoes are acceptable - but please remember this is a mountain race and covers some very technical terrain. Descents are very steep on places and a slip could render you in a serious situation or worse. NOTE: We will be spot checking footwear prior to the race, if in the marshals opinion your footwear is not suitable for the course, you will not be able to race.
** If in doubt email us well in advance of the race weekend.
Must be worn or carried:
- Waterproof jacket & trousers. Note: Both jacket and trousers must have fully taped/welded seams. The jacket must have a hood. Water resistant products will not be acceptable.
- Spare Long Sleeve Base Layer Top.
- Hat, Buff or similar.
- Head Torch.
- Survival Bag - Space blankets are NOT acceptable.
- 200 Calories of emergency food - must still be un-used, unless you have had an emergency.
- GPS and/or Map & Compass.
- First aid kit (minimal - this hood include a bandage, some plasters and some pain killers) Please do not use Anti Inflammatories, as these can be dangerous when taken in a race situation)
- Race Vest/Small Pack or Bumbag must be worn to carry race kit in.
- Safety pins x4 (or other device for attaching race number).
As well as a compulsory pre-race kit check, there will be random checks at the end of the race to ensure competitors have raced with all mandatory kit.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Minimum kit should be sufficient to keep you warm in the event of injury and a long, slow walk back to safety.
Safety Notice: The Race Director reserves the right to ask for additional warm clothing (e.g. tights or insulating jacket) to be worn or carried dependent on the weather conditions on race day, so please come prepared. You will be informed of this at the safety talk with a final decision being made 30 minutes before the start.